Xilinx Foundation 1.5 Software CD Installation Instructions
Two CDs containing Xilinx Foundation 1.5 software are packaged
with most domestic and international printings of the third edition.
The user license and installation instructions for this software
appear on pages 947-950 of the book, as well as here
(.pdf, 26K). Most users will be performing a new installation
and can skip Section IA in the Xilinx instructions.
- There are two main steps to the installation. The first step
is to install the software from CD #1 and the documentation (if
desired) from CD #2. During this step, you will use the "CD
key" number that appears in the installation instructions
- In the second step, you must register the software and obtain
a "license.dat" file to actually run the synthesis
tools that you installed from CD #1. This is where you will use
the unique serial number that is printed on the pink card included
with the CDs packaged at the back of your book.. You must go
to Xilinx' automated Web site, http://university.xilinx.com/univ/xsepre.htm,
to obtain a personalized "license.dat" file based on
your unique serial number on the pink card.
- When you submit your license request to the Xilinx site,
it will automatically e-mail your customized license file
to the address you gave on the form. After making one
request, check your email; the license file should arrive within
a few minutes.
- Install the license file using the following steps:
- Quit the Foundation application if you're already running
- Locate the "data" folder in your foundation folder
(C:/fdtn/data in a typical installation). Change the name of
the license.dat file in this folder to "license.dat.old"
in case you need to restore it later.
- Save the e-mail message containing the license info into
a text-only file in this folder, using the name "license.dat".
- Edit the license.dat file to remove any mail headers and
other information, up to but not including the lines:
# Xilinx XSE License File for (your name)
- Be sure to save the file in "text-only" format.
- After installing the license.dat file, start the Foundation
application. Synthesis features should now be available (it should
no longer complain about lacking a Synopsys license).
In order to place and route some designs, you may eventually
have to update your Foundation software.
Don't bother with this now.
For additional support, students should refer to their instructor,
to their teaching assistant, to support.xilinx.com,
or to the Xilinx
Student Edition Frequently Asked Questions page. The last
two [or three ;-) ] resources are usually available 24 hours a
day. Live Xilinx technical support (telephone or email) is not
offered for the Xilinx Student Edition package.